Hanyang Institute for Phonetics and Cognitive Sciences of Language (HIPCS)
Director: Taehong Cho
#104, College of Humanities, Hanyang University, Seoul (133-791), Korea
- Hanyang Institute for Phonetics and Cognitive Sciences of Language(HIPCS), formerly "The Institute for Performative Humanities" established in 2005, was newly re-established in the College of Humanities at Hanyang University in 2017, with a new name as part of an effort to promote the Hanyang University Specializing Projects for linguistic and interdisciplinary aspects of phonetics and cognitive sciences of language.
- The main research areas of HIPCS are experimental phonetics, laboratory phonology, psycholinguistics, neurolinguistics, L1 and L2 acquisitions. Current research topics of HIPCS include prosody-phonetics interface in speech production and comprehension, articulatory dynamics in spoken language, spoken word recognition, sentence processing, and neurolinguistic aspects of morphological processess and L1/L2 learning.
- HIPCS has two laboratories:
- Hanyang Phonetics and Psycholinguistics Lab: which houses a speech recording studio, two speech perception studios, and 11 PCs for data recording and analyses; the state-of-the-art experimental facilities such as Electro-Magnetic Articulography (EMA) for articulatory movement tracking and Eye Link II for eye movement tracking.
- Brain, Language and Learning Lab (lab director: Dr. Say Young Kim) which houses a state of art EEG/ERP system.
- Prof. Taehong Cho (Dept. of English Lang. and Lit., Hanyang U.) (Director)
- Prof. Sahyang Kim (Hongik Univ.) (Project leader, Affiliated member)
- Prof. Holger Mitterer (University of Malta) (Project leader, Affiliated member)
- Prof. Sayyoung Kim (Dept. of English Langu. and Lit., Hanyang U.) (Lab Director of Brain, Language & Learning Laboratory)
- Dr. Jiyoun Choi (Research Assistant Professor, Hanyang Univ.)
- Prof. Minjung Son (Affiliated member, Hanman Univ.)
- Jiyoung Jang (Graduate Student)
- Jiyoung Lee (Graduate Student)
- Jungyun Seo (Graduate Student)
- Hyojin Kim (Graduate Student)
- Yeonje Seo (Undergraduate Student)
- Yewon Hong (Undergraduate Student)
Equipments for aerodynamic measures (oral-nasal pressure/flow) and Electroglottograph
- In addition, other necessary hardwares and softwares are in house.